When it comes to finding top quality Bengali desserts in Kolkata, you would be happy to know that there are a huge number of options for you to select from. Kolkata has an incredible heritage of great food, and the sweet shops are an integral part of it. Although many options are there, if asked for my personal favorite five, and why, I would choose the following places:
- Girish Chandra Dey and Nakur Chandra Nandy – This place specializes in making Bengali sweets in Kolkata, essentially, only sandesh. That means, no, this place will never serve you roshogolla. But, with the number of things they have on offer, you will be spoilt for choices. They also make a special sandesh cake on order, which is incredible.
- Banchharam – If you have a little soft spot for the humble jolbhora talshaansh sandesh, this is where you should go. In winter, the nolen gur talshaansh is filled with runny nolen gur, a form of molasses found in Bengal. Also, them make wonderful chhanar jilipi which are best served warm (I generally tend to heat them up slightly before consuming).
- Chittaranjan – If you want true blood Bengali dessert, try their abar khabo sandesh, or the madhuparka, which essentially looks like mishti doi, but is totally different, and absolutely amazing. The cham cham is also excellent – creamy and melt-in-your-mouth.
- Balaram Mullick and Radharaman Mullick Sweets – Two words. Baked Mihidana. Okay, another two words. Baked Roshogolla. This is one of the most innovative sweet shops in the town, and most of their sweets and the mishti doi is incredible. If you are looking for great Bengali sweet shops in Kolkata, do not miss out on this one.
- Bhim Chandra Nag – Bhim Nag is one of those shops which contains wonderful gems like the gawja, or the nolen gur-er sandesh. Personally, the kalo jam, which is a version of the gulab jamun, is a major favorite too!
Of course – plenty of places are not going to be named here. But if you want to check out the sweet shops not to be missed in Kolkata, you have to try these places out. They are pretty incredible and are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.