Disclaimer – This particular post does not have step by step making picture.However, the end result was SOGOOD that I decided to forego just because I knew once you’ve had this, you won’t need the pictures. It is ridiculously simple and takes about 30 minutes to make and 10 to consume.
`So I was cooking and S was looking around the place, and complaining that there never was any good creme caramel that I’ve ever made and though I rallied back that I had just made the Chocolate Caramels the other day, truth is, I agreed. I’ve made this before, but I have always used the custard method with gelatin, never with eggs because I generally tend to think that cooking anything in a pressure cooker is more work for me. However, this recipe was given to me by my aunt who is absolutely the queen of making it and her recipe is “NEVER FAIL” so I decided to give it a go.
However when the whine went to a grumble, I went downstairs and did the following.
1. Take a round, 5″ diameter aluminum or similar heavy bottomed fireproof bowl and sprinkle the bottom of it with a teaspoon or less sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of butter, at room temperature. Put it on heat and watch the sugar caramelize. Now this is IMPORTANT. DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF IT BECAUSE YOU WILL (and not can, or might, but WILL) END UP WITH BLACK SUGAR which is not good. Keep a large bowl of cold water prepared, and as soon as you see the sugar browned to a glazed chocolate in color, remove and plunge the bottom of the bowl in ice water to immediately stop cooking. It will hiss and splutter, but you got caramel, baby!
2. Heat water about 2″-3″ deep in a pressure cooker, depending on the size of your bowl. Oh, you have a bowl that fits inside the pressure, right? If it does not, well, you might just want to avoid this recipe.
3. In a blender bowl (or a large bowl if you are desperate) mash together 100 ml milk with 1 egg and 1 slice of plain white bread. WITH CRUST. I like it thaaat way (Okay Backstreet Boy, Leaaave). Make sure bread is mashed to a pulp and is smooth.
4. Add 200 ml (1/2 tin in general world) condensed milk and 3 more eggs. BEAT IT. (Here, you can use flavoring, like Vanilla. I don’t like it. I don’t use it.)
5. Pour this inside the bowl. Put bowl carefully inside pressure cooker. Let the pressure cooker come to full steam, then drop the heat down to a simmer and let it cook for 12-15 minutes. NO MORE.
6.Do Not Disturb for the next hour.
7. Remove, Run a thin knife around the edges of the bowl to loosen the custard and then flip it out of the bowl and onto a plate. Just do it.
You will get this.
And get this, its a perpetual man pleaser.
S swooned. Gulped. Moaned. Groaned.
And told me I am God.
I know. Just checking.
|Look! Pacman! Wakawakawaka!|
Have a good life, folks. BTW, I love my share drizzled with condensed milk. You must know where this is going.