If you follow me on Instagram, you would know I have a multi-talented friend Sreenanda Shankar, who runs an incredibly successful makeup group on Facebook (In another world, Sreenanda is a danseuse, an actor, a model and quite a few other things), called Makeover Madness: It’s About What Suits YOU!!, and there, you would find amazing daily makeup tips, cool makeovers, stunning shoots, and really great interaction with fellow makeup and fashion lovers. I have been a member since 2013, and I also became friends with Sreenanda over time. A few months ago, on a really bleak day, she did a gorgeous makeover for me, and I ended up taking a few tips which were really useful.
Recently, I met up with Sreenanda, in conversation with popular model Tina Mukherjee, and at the event, what I loved was the fact that the entire session was really relaxed and simple – with a laid-back vibe. The event was hosted by Novotel, and that means there’s always some great food and drinks to be had.
The session was interactive and fun, and Sreenanda talked about her journey, through life, and how the group Makeover Madness helped her shape her life. Every day, thousands of people read the tips and tricks she shares and also her makeup look. I love them because there are a huge number to choose from, and you can always pick the one you like and that seems doable. Also, Sreenanda has a great way to provide substitutes – you don’t really need very expensive or imported products – she uses a huge assortment where you can find cheap and expensive products quite easily. One of her favourite makeup product is Maybelline Colossal Kohl, and another one is the Colorbar Lip Pencil 007 (Nude Pink).
From her session, I took away a few tips which I think you should remember while putting on makeup. Here they are:
- Do makeup as per your skin tone and face shape. For example, as I don’t have big eyes, its a good idea for me to avoid doing smoky eyes, and rather go for metallic shades on my eyelids (which open up my eyes).
- Make sure your foundation matches your skintone as closely as possible. Go out to the sunlight and check whether the colour matches your skintone after putting it on your skin. An ideal place to put foundation on for checking is your jawline.
- While putting on lipstick, go the extra mile, and line your lips. You should check out how she puts on red lipstick in her video here.
- Don’t put too much makeup. This is important specifically when it comes to foundation. Use enough to cover blemishes and to even out skin tone. Don’t overdo it. Also, ensure your face and neck matches in colour, so use a bit of foundation and powder there as well.
- Highlight one aspect of your face while doing makeup. When putting on bold eyeshadows, try keeping your lipstick subtle, or vice versa. Too much contrast and you might end up looking weird.
I think these are great tips which every person doing makeup should remember. For more, join the group to know!
Disclaimer: Poorna Banerjee was invited to Novotel for the event by the management of Novotel.